Reddit is probably the most popular social news website on the Internet, with 55 million unique visitors each month, and 2 million daily. The community offers a little something for everyone with thousands of “subreddits” geared towards specific interests. Because of Reddit's large user base, it can be a great marketing tool for your business.
However, as with any website, it can be confusing or overwhelming for new users. Here are some tips to help you get started:
If you want to start a new discussion, known as a “thread,” you must first locate the appropriate subreddit. You must also have a Reddit account to post on the site. Here are the steps for starting a new thread:
- Click the "Search Reddit" box in the upper right corner and type in a general description of what you want to post about
- Click the subreddit that corresponds to your thread from the search results
- Click "Submit a New Text Post." You must log in to your account or, if you are a new user, create a new account
- Once in, enter the title, or subject, of your thread in the Title field
- Type the text that will accompany the post in the Text field
- Click "Submit" to post your thread
It is important to know the subreddit's specific rules before posting to ensure your thread is not against the guidelines. If it is, the subreddit's moderator will delete it.
How to Get on Reddit Front Page
No spot on Reddit is more coveted than its front page. Anyone can post on Reddit, but not everyone makes it to the front page. It is difficult, but here are a few tips that can increase your chances of landing in a prime spot:
- Get “Upvotes” - Once a link is submitted, other users can either “upvote” or “downvote” the link, depending on whether they like or dislike it. They can also comment on the link. Submitted posts rise or fall based on the number of upvotes versus the number of downvotes, which are subtracted from the overall score. For a post to have a chance at success, it must first receive 10 upvotes. Keep in mind that newer posts rise more quickly than older posts with the same attention, so the faster you can get upvotes the better. The posts with the greatest number of upvotes in each subreddit can rise to the front page.
- Choose the Right Subreddit – It is important that you choose the right subreddit for your post, otherwise it may be deleted or not reach the intended audience. If your post immediately gets downvoted or you get comments that it is in the wrong place, delete the first post and try another subreddit.
- Eye-Catching Headline – While there are no rules to writing a great Reddit headline, you will find that different subreddits and types of content will attract different kinds of headlines. For example, if you are submitting a news article, use the headline of the article or a quote from the piece that sums up the key point. Do not be afraid to get witty with your titles. As with most things in the Internet, being funny or clever will help your rating immensely.
- Choose the Right Content – Even if you find the right subreddit and have a catchy headline, it all boils down to how interesting your content is. With reddit, you want “quality” over “quantity.” For example, old content that has already been posted to Reddit will often get downvoted.
Source: Fremont College School of Digital Marketing